Tax professionals know that 2017 has been another big year in tax. Are there any other kind of tax years other than big ones, you might ask! Clearly not!
The proof of all of this comes from the Thomson Reuters Weekly Tax Bulletin:
In 2017, WTB reported over 1,800 tax, superannuation and related developments. This includes rulings, legislation, cases, announcements affecting tax laws, tax administration, many Practitioner Articles (see below), a host of relevant international tax developments, and much more.
In 2017, WTB published 119 Practitioner Articles covering the whole gamut of taxation – issues such as:
- trust vesting; major superannuation changes; estate planning and transition to retirement income streams;
- reduction in corporate tax rate and passive income exclusion;
- Single Touch Payroll; proposed new hybrid mismatch rules; family trust distributions;
- tax and blockchain;
- new GST withholding tax for new residential property;
- new depreciation rules for property investors;
- reportable tax position and tax risk management;
- Commissioner’s provision of T-documents in court proceedings;
- fettering of a trustee’s discretion;
- Div 7A and s 109 associate taxpayer rules; claiming tax losses;
- SMSFs and property;
- CGT main residence exemption;
- CGT relief for superannuation pension reforms;
- CGT marriage breakdown rollover;
- ultimate beneficial ownership issues;
- transfer pricing;
- residency issues;
- BEPS; and
- US international tax reforms; PLUS many more.
WTB published a Special comprehensive 2017 Budget night report.
WTB published a Special Year-End Tax Planning WTB.
Tax never stands still – neither does WTB!
For further details on the Weekly Tax Bulletin.